Date: January 13 & 14, 2005 Venue: NIRA Conference Room
Japan Foundation International Conference Room
Organizer: NIRA, Japan Foundation, European Policy Centre (EPC) Title: Japan-EU Think Tank Roundtable
"Next Steps in Global Governance"
The main theme of the Roundtable was global governance and the timing was propitious as it was held soon after publication of the High-level Panel Report requested by UN Secretary General, Kofi Annan, to consider threats and challenges facing the international system. Participants discussed sensitive issues such as proposals to reform and expand the UN Security Council, the 'responsibility to protect,' the changing nature of sovereignty and Asian and European experiences with integration. The Roundtable, held under Chatham House rules, brought together some twenty leading academics and policy analysts from Japan and Europe and provided a unique opportunity for the intellectual communities on both sides to discuss a range of sensitive political issues.
January 13, Thursday, 2005
Opening Statements by Co-Organizers
Takafusa Shioya, President, National Institute for Research Advancement
Hans Martens, European Policy Centre
Introduction of the Roundtable Topic: What is Global Governance? By Co-convenors
- Akiko Fukushima, Director of Policy Studies and Senior Fellow, NIRA [PDF format 207KB]
- Fraser Cameron, Director, EPC [PDF format 52KB]
Session 1 "Responding to the UN High-level Panel Report"
- Japanese Views: Yozo Yokota, Professor, Chuo University [PDF format 28KB]
- European Views: Valerie Arnould, Research Fellow, Institut Royal des Relations Internationals, Brussels [PDF format 131KB]
January 14, Friday, 2005
Session 2 "Building Blocs to Global Governance-Strengthening International Institutions (G8, WTO, IMF, World Bank, etc.)"
- Japanese Views: Akira Kojima, Chairman, Japan Center for Economic Research [PDF format 29KB]
- EuropeanViews: Fraser Cameron, Director of Studies, European Policy Centre [PDF format 50KB]
Session 3 "Regional Cooperation: Relevance of EU Model to East Asia?"
- Japanese Views: Makio Miyagawa, Director, The Japan Institute of International Affairs [PDF format 31KB]
- European Views: Axel Berkofsky, Senior Policy Analyst, European Policy Centre [PDF format 69KB]
Concluding Session: Next Step
[ Back ]
National Institute for Research Advancement (NIRA) Home Page
Copyright (c) National Institute for Research Advancement (NIRA)